Pages

15 December 2012

STOP! SCRUNCHIE TIME.



First of all, I should probably make a confession: I like scunchies.  They don't leave kinks, or rip out your hair.  They're wonderful.  

I wore scrunchies all through lower and middle school.  I had velvet ones (black, purple and green). A couple of checked ones.  A pouffy white one.  A flouro pink knitted one.  And, god help me, an orange feather one (for real).  At the time of ownership I went to an all girls school that was pretty strict on uniform; one day, in the middle of assembly, I was instructed to "Take that ridiculous Thing" off my head (I wore it at home instead and tortured my mother with it - to add insult to visual injury it left little bits of orange fluff all over the carpet).  Eventually my beloved lost all its feathers and I heard my favourite hair accessory denounced my Carrie Bradshaw and co.  So died my infatuation. 

There have been numerous attempts to make scrunchies cool again: American Apparel* have had a fair, if generally unsuccessful, bash at reinventing the disgraced hair rag.  Then there was Marc Jacobs's valiant attempt a few years ago, which unfortunately included a somewhat misguided scrunchie themed shoe and, more recently, some logo hair furniture for his diffusion line.


Marc Jacobs S/S 2010


But it seems that the humble accessory may finally be back, thanks to an endorsement from the beauteous Cara Delevingne and My Crazy Scrunchie, with whom Vivivienne Westwood, no less, commissioned bespoke styles for her Spring Summer 2013 show: 



Vivienne Westwood S/S 2013.


The girls behind MCS are Eu Simo Grijalbo and Laura Fraser (who's also responsible for this charming ditty and is best friends with Alice Dellal, perhaps explaining the Westwood connection), and you can read an interview with them here.  In the meantime, watch this weird and awesome video for MCS, in which Cara, Suki Waterhouse and Clara Paget have a wild wild west style shoot out.


video


You knew this day was coming.  Especially after the recent nineties resurgence (I mean if flatforms and jellies can make a reappearance, then frankly anything can). So the question is, are you ready for the scrunchie to come back into your life, like a once spurned lover?




*"Look at us with our teenage models wearing ankle socks and posing provocatively, OMGSOORIGINAL".


22 comments:

  1. I am SO READY. Bloody love a good scrunchie. When I was 10 I used to layer about five at a time into a pyramid around my ponytail. I hope the world is ready to perfect the art of the scrunchie cone again.

    Elise x

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHA, a feather orange one!? That sounds wild!!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept my two favourite scrunchies from way back because I could bear to get rid of them. Don't think I'll be able to bring myself to actually wear them again though!

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been waiting years for the scrunchie to come back 'in'...thank the lord. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures and blog ! I am your newest follower and I hope you can follow me too !

    xx

    Enter the ZALANDO GIVEAWAY on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am dreading this day. Just like you, with the 90s incoming, I thought to myeslf that the scrunchie MAY be back. I hope not. X

    mademoiselle-lala.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It needed to be said that scrunchies are AMAZING! Love my scrunchies<33333

    xoxo Britt

    www.PardonMyFashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That video is so random, I love it! I never wore a scrunchie, I liked hair ties with various plastic animals on them...now if only someone would bring those back xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had pink pig ones. Also rainbow bobbles, those were awesome! x

      Delete
  9. Okay they don't leave kinks in your hair? Hmm... maybe I should give them a second chance. When I was in Sweden a couple of years back the girl I was staying with bought a black velvet one which is pretty nice..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Couldn't agree more I have a new found love for scrunchies, again! Love it when stuff comes back round that we can remember from being younger, hang on that means I am getting old! ha! xx

    fashiontatt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I work at an accessory showroom and scrunchies are all buyers buy believe it or not !

    xo,
    Cindi
    Breakfast at Cindi’s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot tell you how happy this makes me! x

      Delete
  12. SCRUNCHIES ARE THE BOMB! too bad i cant pull one of :')

    ReplyDelete